Trial tested, results oriented

Taking legal action after a case is over

If you do not believe you have received appropriate or effective legal representation, you have the right to file a legal malpractice motion against your former attorney.

To do so, you’ll need an attorney who is a post-conviction expert to assist you with several possible actions.  An experienced Denver attorney will be able to guide you through several legal actions, including:

Appeals – if you think you have been wrongfully convicted of a crime because of an incorrect interpretation of the law, you can file an appeal to reopen the case.  An appeal can take place in criminal and in civil cases.

Motions to reduce sentences – known as the 35b rule, you can file an appeal to correct a sentence that was the result of a technical, arithmetic or clerical error.

Legal malpractice – if you feel you have been subjected to the ineffective assistance of counsel, you may have grounds to seek damages and possibly a new trial.

Sealing court records – in some cases, court records may be sealed, and you have the right to attempt to gain access to those records through the appeals process.

Expungements of convictions – sometimes, an arrest and conviction can create problems for many years after the fact.  You can make an appeal to the courts to have the arrest and conviction record sealed so that you do not have to disclose it later on when you are applying for a job or perhaps attempting to rent an apartment.  In some cases, an expungement may be available after they have completed serving your sentences and completed all the probation requirements.

If you have doubts about your legal representation or want to attempt to change some of the legal parameters of your current situation, finding and working with an expert post-conviction lawyer may yield a significant benefit.
Newell & Decker serves clients in Denver and nearby Colorado communities.

Comments are closed.